- (2 tablespoons) ancho chille powder
- (2 tablespoons) finely ground coffee beans
- (5 teaspoons) dark brown sugar
- (1 tablespoon) smoked spanish paprika
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) dried oregano
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) black pepper, freshly ground
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) coriander, ground
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) mustard powder
- (1 teaspoon) finely ground red pepper flakes
- (1 teaspoon) ginger, ground
- (1 tablespoon) kosher salt
- (two New York strip steaks or a pair of your favorite steaks) New York Strip Steak (package of 2)
Mix ancho chile powder, ground coffee, brown sugar, paprika, dried oregano, pepper, coriander, mustard, chile de árbol powder, ginger, and 1 Tbsp. salt in a small bowl.
Season steaks with salt, then coat with 5 tsp. spice rub per steak (save any extra rub for your next steak). Place on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill uncovered 3–6 hours in the refrigerator.
About 75 minutes before serving: Let steaks sit 1 hour to come to room temperature, which will help them cook quickly and more evenly.
Heat avocado oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high (the oil should JUST begin to smoke) Cook steaks 1 - 2 minutes or so on each side to create a nice crust. On thicker steaks, don't forget to use tongs to sear the sides! Use the "hand test" to determine when your steak is done rather than using a probe thermometer.
Transfer to a plate, cover, and allow to sit, covered, about 5 minutes for the the juices to reabsorb and for the temperature to equalize.
Not familiar with the hand test? Click here for a great explanation!
If you are using this recipe for a roast:
Season your roast.
Allow to sit, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 3 -6 hours.
Sear all outer surfaces, as if you were preparing steaks.
Transfer to a crock pot and add 1/2 cup of water or beef broth and cook on low for 8 hours for a "slicer" or 10 - 12 hours for "falling apart tender"
Transfer to an Instant pot. Add 1/3 cup of water or beef broth and cook on high pressure for 45 minutes for a firmer roast, 70 minutes for "falling apart tender" Be sure valve is closed during cooking. Allow to release pressure naturally for 30 minutes before venting.