- (2 tablespoons) ancho chille powder
- (2 tablespoons) finely ground coffee beans
- (5 teaspoons) dark brown sugar
- (1 tablespoon) smoked spanish paprika
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) dried oregano
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) black pepper, freshly ground
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) coriander, ground
- (1 1/2 teaspoons) mustard powder
- (1 teaspoon) finely ground red pepper flakes
- (1 teaspoon) ginger, ground
- (1 tablespoon) kosher salt
- (two New York strip steaks or a pair of your favorite steaks) New York Strip Steak (package of 2)
Mix ancho chile powder, ground coffee, brown sugar, paprika, dried oregano, pepper, coriander, mustard, chile de árbol powder, ginger, and 1 Tbsp. salt in a small bowl.
Season steaks with salt, then coat with 5 tsp. spice rub per steak (save any extra rub for your next steak). Place on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill uncovered 3–6 hours.
Let steaks sit 1 hour to come to room temperature, which will help them cook quickly and more evenly.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook steaks 2 minutes or so on each side to create a nice crust. Transfer skillet to oven; cook steaks until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 120°F for medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Transfer steaks to a cutting board; let rest 10 minutes. Slice 1/2-inch thick.